[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
River Twine Holt Forums • View topic - IMPORTANT: Club accounts on Tumblr/AO3

River Twine Holt Forums

A Gathering Place for River Twine Holt
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:50 am 

Feel free to post any of my art or stories I've helped write to either Tumblr or AO3. I'm very familiar with Tumblr (and have probably posted my RTH art there already, but I don't have many viewers.)

Has the tumblr been created yet? I'll follow it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

I think that once the account has been created (I don't think it has, yet?), we can go back through your posts and find any RTH art you've posted, and just reblog it, perhaps?

To start with, I imagine RTH will have fewer followers than anyone! :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:55 am 

You're welcome to repost any of my work. I'd like to be tagged, at either place I'm ellenmillion :) (I don't know either system very well, so I'm not entirely sure how/if tagging works there...)

Artist, writer, creator and Mom.
- a science fantasy shared world

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:51 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

Would it make folks feel better about posting artwork, if we (the council) undertook to create versions of the art that has some kind of watermark on it? That would be difficult to remove, obviously.

That way, if people on Tumblr insisted on re-posting the art, instead of reblogging it (the latter preserves the info/credit it was posted with, or at least a link-back to our page or the page it was originally posted on), the key info is still on the art itself.

Like, here is an example of how I "watermarked" calendar artwork that we made available for download as a desktop version -- see the upper right on this page:

http://www.rivertwine.com/images/2013Ca ... 0x1050.jpg

It's fairly unobtrusive, and can't easily be removed without it being pretty obvious.

I'm attaching below an example of how a more minimal watermark could be added to some art.

However, it's not a perfect system. We have plenty of art that doesn't have a full background that a watermark could easily be added to.

For example, the second piece I just put below also has a watermark; but a really determined art thief could erase the portions that are against the white background, and what is left against Snowfall's leg isn't really enough to tell people where the art is from. :/

I don't want to minimize people's concerns about art theft -- but I do think that if you're going to post art on the internet at all (including on the RTH website), you have to develop a certain degree of acceptance that it *could* happen. The hope is that if it happens and we find out about it, we can take steps to deal with it; and Joan's right that the Tumblr art community does have some strong feelings about it and will often rally to help make clear that it isn't okay.

But I'm definitely happy to take steps to make things safer, including working out watermarking with individual artists.

It could be that if you're concerned about art theft, you limit those of your pieces that are posted to the ones that are most easily watermarked?

Attachments:
linda_watermark.jpg
linda_watermark.jpg [ 101.57 KiB | Viewed 2835 times ]
2015oct_watermark.jpg
2015oct_watermark.jpg [ 211.86 KiB | Viewed 2835 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:35 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:50 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:41 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

Yeah, we can totally swap folks' names on the RTH website any time! Just let us know!

That's a good point, in a wider sense. My Tumblr and AO3 handle is one thing, and I wonder how to indicate to folks that at RTH, I'm "Holly"? Although, I suppose the point would become clear if a story posted at AO3 is linked to where it is posted on our website, and people click and see the name on it here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:14 pm 

Thanks. I'll be in touch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:49 am 

For me it's okay to post my art and stories but I'd be grateful if you'd ask about the really old art (from my first two years in the club) :oops: ...

Shaped by Flowerstar - my blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:46 pm 

I'm fine with my pieces being posted/archived, but I've got no interest in joining more sites.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:46 pm 

Hm, I'm not really sure what I'm thinking about. I think its a good idea for the holt. But for myself, I'm always a bit shy and not a big friend of bringing too much of my things to the internet in a more open way.

So, how I said, its a good idea for the tribe but please, for the first, don't use my stuff for it. I will tell you, when I change my mind. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:55 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:11 pm 

I only have a few pieces on here but I'd be fine with them being posted. If/When you have the tumblr account set up, can you post the link? I'd like to follow it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 pm