[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
River Twine Holt Forums • View topic - Writer's Challenge #1: Writing by Playlist

River Twine Holt Forums

A Gathering Place for River Twine Holt
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:07 am 

Here's the first of a series of challenges I'm reposting from the earlier board. I'll be adding other challenges in the future. Any of these challenges are great tools to use while you're suffering from writer's block -- next time you're spinning your creative wheels, go ahead and try one!

Load up your favorite music playlist or grab the first CD you see. Hit play, then hit random five times.

Note the artist and title of the song. Listen to the song through its end. Then start writing, with whichever club character the lyrics inspire. Stop when you feel like it, after a minimum of at least 100 words. (Don't worry if the result has nothing to do with the song. After all, there's no "speed metal" or hip-hop to be found in the River Twine forest...)

When finished, spell-check, run it past anyone else who needs to see it privately in order to approve the use of their own characters, and then post it here to share!

Last edited by Whit on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:21 am 

Miles from The Lightning; Jeffrey Foucault

There was a rumble of thunder overhead, rolling through the stormclouds like a great shagmane bull across the grasslands. Nearwoken whined and flinched; storms always turned the old wolf back into a den-hiding pup. Farscout soothed his wolf with a touch and counted his own heartbeats against the lightning that followed.

Eight heartbeats; the last had been twelve. The storm was rolling closer and closer. Farscout edged back as far as he could into the hollow of the fallen tree under which he and his wolf-friend had taken cover from the rain, and waited for the next piece of thunder.

Nearwoken jumped at the next crash of thunder and began to shake as he always did. Farscout scratched the old wolf’s rump to distract him and counted again. Seven heartbeats before the flash of lightning.

A flash of memory, along with the skyfire. Brightwood in their tangled bedfurs, her pale gold curls sweeping across them both. She had always counted the distance between the thunder and the lightning with him, and had delighted in the fiercest of late summer storms outside of the den they had shared. He remembered counting her heartbeats with feverish kisses, and how her mouth had tasted like rain.

It was a bittersweet memory, one farther out of reach than the stormclouds and the thunder. He had learned to ration the memories like bites of meat during famine. It was easy for the mind to wallow in what-once-was, and to trade the comfort of memory for the despair of daily life without Brightwood in his bed, at his side, counting the heartbeats between flashes of the storm.

Another crash of thunder, and this time, only two heartbeats before lightning burned the sky. Farscout rested his weary eyes, and drew in a deep breath, savoring the scent of rain as it drummed through the leaves overhead. He counted his heartbeat against the next shock of thunder, and for that moment between sound and light, he let his memory kiss the long years goodbye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:27 am 

"Dandelion Wine" by Lefty Jones (from album Wildweed). :D Story by the same title printed over the weekend, featuring Chicory & Pathmark.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm 

Have you posted Miles from Lightening on the boards? I don't recall reading it before...

Also, it kind of stirs up an idea I've been mulling, about Beetle and lightening... Maybe she'll come talk to Farscout about it sometime! Would that be ok?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:06 pm 

Sure!

Yeah, this story was subbed a long while ago now. :) It's down there around the bottom of the story achieves, I think!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:46 am 

Oh, I should try that again - I used to have good results when doing this for drabbles *goes to put playlist on random*.

Shaped by Flowerstar - my blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:59 pm 

"If You Love Somebody, Set Them Free," by Sting, from "Nothing Like The Sun" album. For a Snowfall fic now in the SAT (working title "Daddy's Little Girl")

EDIT: posted as "Trying Her Wings"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 pm 

"Listen to the Thunder" from listening to "Iguazu" by Gustavo Santaollala (HBO's Deadwood soundtrack)

... and just because I can't pass it up: NSFW link to the title quote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmYdYti-obg

Plus, in the works right now "One for Sorrow, Two for Joy" from listening to the Jeffrey Foucault "Ghost Repeater" album and the song of the same name...