River Twine Holt Forums

A Gathering Place for River Twine Holt
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:31 am 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

Hey, folks! This is an idea that we had in the council, which we wanted to run alongside the other contests and challenges that are happening right now. (In a lot of ways, this will work well with them, as you'll see in a moment.)

The challenge in this case is pretty simple -- to do a piece of art, or a story, about the parents of your character; or about your character as a parent (or both, of course!). The story or picture should involve both parents together. If a picture, it should involve some kind of interaction (so, not just a set of portraits, although a dual portrait of the two together would work). (A story would have them interacting almost by default.) Neither has to be of them in the act of parenting, although it can be. (So it can either focus on them as a couple, or on them with their child or children.)

This challenge is completely open-ended. There is no deadline on it.

Those who complete the challenge by submitting art or fic that meets the criteria will receive a trophy icon that shows they completed the challenge.

That's it! Of course, this can be combined with any other contest or challenge. So for those participating in the "12 Submissions" challenge, something on this theme can count both for that and for this. And of course, the recently-announced Spring 2013 contest, "Family Time", may also count for this challenge (if both parents are featured).

But, while we will encourage folks to do multiple pieces if they want -- you can only earn one trophy icon for the first piece you complete.

Have fun! Let us know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 am 

You know I was going to do a story about Greenweaves parents becaues Tahmarien drew an Assome pic of his mom. Just another think i was thinking about. You guys were thinking on the same wave-leth..lol neat.

-And they all learn more then what was taught

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm 

Do only count biological parents count? ;)

Hmm so if I wanted to do a piece of art for Ice and Farscout, it would counT? (just an example here ^^)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

Mel -- I think that idea would count for the Family Time contest, but not for this challenge.

This challenge is to show the parents of characters together/interacting. I know that Ice and Hawkcall had a very small window in which to interact! But that's the idea. That's why part of it is that they don't HAVE to be interacting with their child/children. It can be them as a couple.

I guess the larger idea is we don't often get to see the parents of our elves as couples -- at least, not all of them, and not very often even for those we do. So we want to encourage everyone to explore that aspect of their own character's background -- showing their parents as a couple, thinking about their relationship, and even, kind of thinking of them as characters in themselves rather than *only* in the role of "parent" (i.e. "your parents had a life before they had you!") However, doing a picture of both parents interacting with their children is also a possibility for the challenge, so it depends on how people want to look at it.

You bring up a good point about biological parents versus not!

My first reaction is to say -- biological parents. But really, I think I only say that because that emphasizes something a little different than "any couple who has acted as parents to a child".

But the spirit of the challenge, overall, is to give a little more screen-time, and thus a little more life, to character we haven't seen that much of, especially interacting. So I could totally see someone wanting to do something with both Moss and Goldspice acting as parents towards Longshot. But, IMO, even though they did so, I wouldn't consider a picture just of Moss and Goldspice interacting to count? If it was just a picture of the couple, I'd rather see Moss and Nightstorm, whom we don't see as much together as we do the established couple of Moss and Goldspice (your wonderful recent picture notwithstanding!)

I'd kind of say the same about Greenweave and Cloudfern -- although, they are in the happy position of having been depicted a fair bit not only with each other, and acting as parents to Newt, but also, with their respectived Recognizeds. They're less in "need" of blanks being filled in about their web of relationships, than many other of our parental pairs.

So I guess the final answer (IMO) is -- non-bio parents can count, but my hope is that folks will try to do something for parental pairs that have received the least attention, if that's an option.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:53 pm 

Ahh got ya!
I see the difference between the challenge and the contest now ^^

Something I wondered, for example about Lacewing, Turtle and Strand was, how they became a three-way-couple, since, as was seen later on, the two guys didn't quite have what it took to stay together for life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:09 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

Yeah, totally! I admit that I'm primarily interested in a lot of the parent couples in that sense of... what made them a couple, even before they became the parents of our elves? I kind of want to see that explored. (Or in your case, that threesome, which is interesting, but who we haven't seen interacting outside of during/after the crisis with Newt, when I think we can fairly say that they weren't interacting "normally".)