[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
River Twine Holt Forums • View topic - Art Challenge #5: 100 Themes Art Challenge

River Twine Holt Forums

A Gathering Place for River Twine Holt
It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:48 pm 

I'm borrowing this challenge directly from dA -- just throwing out all of the rules & restrictions. :) Goal of this challenge is to create 100 pieces of art, each of which reflect the following themes (already created artwork can be applied!)

1) Introduction
2) Love
3) Light
4) Dark
5) Seeking Solace
6) Break Away
7) Heaven
8 ) Innocence
9) Drive
10) Breathe Again
11) Memory
12) Insanity
13) Misfortune
14) Smile
15) Silence
16) Questioning
17) Blood
18) Rainbow
19) Gray
20) Fortitude
21) Vacation
22) Mother Nature
23) Cat
24) No Time
25) Trouble Lurking
26) Tears
27) Foreign
28) Sorrow
29) Happiness
30) Under the Rain
31) Flowers
32) Night
33) Expectations
34) Stars
35) Hold My Hand
36) Precious Treasure
37) Eyes
38) Abandoned
39) Dreams
40) Rated
41) Teamwork
42) Standing Still
43) Dying
44) Two Roads
45) Illusion
46) Family
47) Creation
48) Childhood
49) Stripes
50) Breaking the Rules
51) Sport
52) Deep in Thought
53) Keeping a Secret
54) Tower
55) Waiting
56) Danger Ahead
57) Sacrifice
58) Kick in the Head
59) No Way Out
60) Rejection
61) Fairy Tale
62) Magic
63) Do Not Disturb
64) Multitasking
65) Horror
66) Trap
67) 67%
68) Hero
69) Annoyance
70) Playing the Melody
71) Obsession
72) Mischief Managed
73) I Can't
74) Are You Challenging Me?
75) Mirror
76) Broken Pieces
77) Test
78) Drink
79) Starvation
80) Words
81) Artistic
82) Can You Hear Me?
83) Heal
84) Out Cold
85) Spiral
86) Seeing Red
87) Food
88) Pain
89) Through the Fire
90) Triangle
91) Drowning
92) All That I Have
93) Give Up
94) Last Hope
95) Advertisement
96) In the Storm
97) Safety First
98) Puzzle
99) Solitude
100) Relaxation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:01 am 

Wow. This actually seems really fun, I kind of want to try it! Kestrel is a good candidate for a lot of these! Might take a looong time to finish though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:20 pm 

I’m not ashamed to admit that Afke actually drew my attention to this dA challenge. I think this is a great challenge -- sometimes this sort of thing can be a fantastic hook to help brainstorm new ideas. Plus, I think it’s perfectly fair to apply older artwork to this when you find a theme applies to what you had in mind when you were creating something.

So -- in terms of making this manageable, here's a suggestion. Lemme use and abuse Rachel Vardys ( forgive me, plz!)’s work as an example. Pretending with respect that I was her, I'd take a quick look my RTH art gallery and apply some of my existing art to some of the challenge themes to which they might possible apply, depending on what was going through my head when I created them…

14) Smile – “Sweetslip”
17) Blood – “Brightwood hunting”
22) Mother Nature – “Wolfsister”
23) Cat – “Firecat”
31) Flowers – “Cloudfern in a skirt”
32) Night – “Foxtail”
38) Abandoned – “Illo to First Contact: Prelude”
39) Dreams -- “Future Hopes” (Farscout & Brightwood)
48) Childhood – “Young Moonmoth”
61) Fairy Tale: -- “Cloudfern as a yuki-onna”
62) Magic: -- “Cloudfern shaping”
75) Mirror – “Frost at the water’s edge”
78) Drink – “Cloudfern making tea”

… and then, let’s pretend that (still being Rachel’s doppelganger here) I’m putting the finishing touches today on a piece of Brightwood shaping a new bow, and the bow looks about three quarters done or so. Hey! That might fit the 67% theme, right? So I’ll get back online later tonight after I’ve subbed the finished piece to artwork@rivertwine.com for the website, and add in the following line:

67) 67%: -- “Brightwood shapes a new bow”

And then, I spot the theme "Sacrifice". Mmmmm... that's evocative! It makes me think of Lynx's death, so I'll run off merrily to create an illo for that dramatic scene...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:11 am 

This sounds really fun but I'm the worst procrastinator ever. So... If I have contributions I'll let you know, but I may forget. :furtive:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:29 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:22 pm 

Whitney... I like this! It'd also be neat if, in the first post, you added in which pieces fit which themes (for quick viewing)... then people will see which haven't been used!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm 

ahhh... thanks for clearing that up, Leonie!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:28 pm 

Hi there,

sounds realy funny :) This would be a great challenge. One question I have about this: Do we have to draw these images in a specified time ? For 100 pictures I would like to take time ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:31 pm 

:shck: 100 pictures... Well I'd say that's doable :giggleroll: But in which time :P

Some really give me inspiration, Well but I'd have to see if I can manage them all... in any case it's great for inspiration :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:07 pm 

It's not really intended to be done in a certain length of time. It's more to use as inspiration for when you are stuck, or need a bump. If you wanted to give yourself a timeframe you could, but that's not really the point of it.

I'd never never get this list finished, if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:28 pm 
Member of the Autumn!
Member of the Autumn!

I don't know, Viki -- you've done at least 75 pieces for RTH so far, so if you'd been using a list like this and were determined to make every piece you did fit one of the prompts in some way, you could clearly do it over a few years. :)

As everyone says, though -- it's a tool. How you use it is up to you. And also, what you produce for it -- you could, for example, just decide that you want to use it as a structure to help you draw a little every week, and thus, produce at least one drawing (sketch or whatever) for one of the prompts each week, which would enable you to finish in a little under 2 years.

I've never tried to do a grid like this, because so far at least, I haven't felt dry of ideas. I always end up getting ideas and jotting them down on my Big List at a slightly higher rate than I cross things off the list (and that's not even counting the "prompts" of trades and projects like the calendar and so on). I need MORE ideas like I need a hole in the head, in other words. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:41 pm 

Great :) Thanks for the answers. I think I'll try this.....^^

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:04 am